Tuesday 7 October 2008

Let's talk about green issues!

Since having my daughter I've become so much more aware of the environment and trying to preserve it for future generations. One thing I try really hard with is cutting out all the chemicals we take for granted. Things like shampoo, cleaning products, washing powder. As far as I can see they aren't necessary. Now I'm not saying we should all be dirty, just that there are natural alternatives.

Take laundry for example, I use Soapnuts. They are a natural sustainable product, which can be composted after use. They naturally soften clothes so you don't need a fabric conditioner. Not only can they be used for laundry, they can be used for washing up, you can make a multi-surface cleaner from them and use it as screenwash in your car. How much does it cost? Well, it's actually CHEAPER than washing powder.

That's the other thing I've found about going green, there's this myth that it's expensive. Most of the time it saves money. By buying soapnuts, I don't need to buy washing powder or cleaning products. Similarly by using a Mooncup and/or washable pads rather than buying disposable sanitary pads or tampons also saves money. Okay so you have to spend a bit more this month to buy enough of them but in the long run it saves a small fortune!

Why doesn't everyone start making these changes? Well to be honest with you, I have no idea. I can't understand it, surely everyone wants to save money and help the environment at the same time. I guess they're sceptical..."Does it really work?" is one of the most-asked questions when I do fairs. So, does it?

Well, the Mooncup/Jam Sponge/washable pads one is a definite thumbs up. They work so well and are so much more comfy. I'd never go back to those plasticky disposable things again. As for the soapnuts - they're different. Your washing will not come out of the washer smelling of 'white diamonds' (anyone know what they smell of?) but that's because they are just clean. It's that simple. If you can't get used to that add a bit of bicarbonate of soda and a few drops of a gorgeous essential oil to the softener drawer. These products work, they just don't have huge advertising budgets. Stop listening to the people who pay for your custom and start listening to those who use that money to source a green, natural, cheap product that does the same job!


Oh and for those of you who are wondering about my hair - check out my Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (great intensive hair conditioner) and African Black Soap (great all over bosy & hair soap) over on Folksy!

No comments:

Post a Comment